Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Different Types of Milk

So, for my experiment, obviously I'm going to do more than one experiment, because otherwise it would be too easy and I wouldn't be able to make very many conclusions. I think I said that first I'll do experiments where the independent variable is how much vinegar is added to the milk. My second "lot" of experiments is going to be with a fixed about of vinegar but with different types of milk. So this is research on the the second experiement.

It's said that whole milk is recommended for children, teenagers and body builders, and people trying to lose weight should drink skim milk which is actually funny . This is because, according to differencebetween.net (http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-skimmed-milk-and-whole-milk/) whole milk has all of the fat from the original cow milk, and usually, there is 3.5% of milk fat** for every cup of milk. However, in skim milk, there is a skimming process where as much fat as possible is taken out. This leaves the skim milk with 0.5% of milk fat, because obviously, not all of the milk fat is taken out.

The fat from skim milk is taken out by centrifuges. (http://www.answerfitness.com/tag/whole-milk-versus-skim-milk/) (hmm. this term seems so familiar. oh yes, year 8 FTW) Based on personal knowledge, centrifuges spin a liquid around and the excess solid is taken away. I'm pretty sure this is also how blood is put into a centrifuge and thats how you can see the plasma, red bloods cells and white blood cells.

 The fact that whole milk has more fat in it than skim milk means it's tastier. Obviously. I hate skim milk. It already smells, so curdling it will make it even worse.

I should really start my experiment.

**is the fatty portion of milk. wikied the definition....^^ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfat)

No comments:

Post a Comment