Saturday, April 17, 2010

SRP update...

I feel so bad, I haven't updated this in so long. I had to read over my posts to see what I had done in relation to my experiment... and realised why I got such a bad mark D: Anyway, I'll try harder from now on.

Ok, so I did a little more research and I found out some really interesting stuff. I might repeat some stuff but it's worth repeating.

Well, from the mixing of the vinegar and milk, you get casin as I've said before, and it occurs when the protein in the milk meets the acid in the vinegar. True plastics, called polymers, are a different in the way that they can be solids or liquids, and the molecules can chain themselves together, which is why you can get stuff like slime.
I got this information from:
http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/polymer.php

On this website (http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/plasticmilk.html) it says that the chemical reaction separated the milk into two parts, the curds which is the solid and the liquid which is the whey. Also, on this website, kids as young as 6 did this experiment, which made me feel really bad. But they said that it felt like "wet playdough" and "smelt really bad". Something in my research with variables finally came up and a person said "
The skim milk smelt the worst, the 1% was the best we thought, 2% and whole milk produced the most, but was the bumpiest. " I have no idea what they're going on about with the percentages but I can conclude that whole milk might create more casein. I am seriously wondering why. Another thing to research.

Another thing I found out was that Little Miss Muffet was really eating this, in her nursery rhyme. This is because curds and whey as mentioned above can be made from milk by the help of a coagulant (something that helps cause a transformation of a liquid for example into or as if into a soft, semisolid, or solid mass). I saw the pictures of it and it looks seriously gross...













Um yeah. I'm SO glad I live in the 21st century, because people actually had to eat that stuff back in the day when their milk spoilt. O_O''
Casein was also manufactured into buttons, crochet hooks and knitting needles between the World War 1 & 2.  After World War II advances in technology made casein plastics obsolete.

No comments:

Post a Comment