Monday, June 14, 2010

FINAL EXPERIMENT

WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY POST

Ok, my conscious really feels so bad now for delaying the experiment so much. Gah, FML.
Anyway, lets hope this isn't a total failure like last time. ^^ and if it is, I'll just do it again


Update~
WOOT. SUCCESS HAS BLESSED US.

There was such a big difference after I changed my method increasing the amount of milk and lowering the amount of vinegar. I'm so happy. You can tell how much casein was made just by looking at the bowl.

PICTURES COME LATER, I'M SO TIRED RIGHT NOW T___T


Because I'm so awesome I again took a picture of my milk heating.



You can see in this picture that the little clumps of casein are much bigger than the ones I got before :D
I'm pretty sure this has to do with the ratio of vinegar to milk. But you can find that in my report. Mwahaha.


This is what the casein looked like when I put it on the cloth to drain. In case you didn't know what I meant by using a cloth to drain the water.


This looks really lulzy, but it's what I meant by tying the cloth around the tap so that the water could drain 8D


Woot! Look at how much casein I got this time around. ^^;;
Oh and I learnt from my mistakes. I used gloves so that my hands wouldn't be smelly. I hope it didn't affect the results though... >.<''



Also, there was minimal loss of casein this time (none went down the drain) but some tiny parts were still stuck on the cloth and in the bowl, which I couldn't get out. Inevitable error ;-;

I also found that some milk stuck to the bottom of the saucepan. I don't know why though D:

What my casein looks like almost right after I made it. They all look relatively similar now, but I found that the one with the least vinegar (25mL) was harder to squish around than the ones with higher vinegar content.


Also, I decided to tabulate the information before it sets (i.e. right after all the water has drained) and after I've let it set. This is because some of the differences in properties might change and it might be hard differentiating the differences :D

Possible errors: measuring amount of milk, measuring amount of vinegar, heating of the milk, drainage of the amount of water, collection of the casein from the filtering device, the differences in shape could change the aeration in the solid affecting the way it is set, my personal errors

No comments:

Post a Comment